SENSE 2020 Conference
SENSE Jubilee Conference goes online; conference workshops now in series
Click here to register for the online conference
Many of you will be pleased to learn that the Jubilee Conference team – with the sterling support of a group of die-hard and innovative presenters and workshop facilitators – have converted the in-person conference into a meeting of true minds. The opportunity to learn, to network and to share online couldn’t be better timed during these times of general gloom and social distancing. And the good news is that the SENSE Online Jubilee Conference continues to feature something for everyone – and at seriously keen prices too!
The online conference will be presented on the afternoons of 3, 4 and 5 June 2020; the workshops are no longer parallel but in series so you can attend as many as you like. The series kicks off on 16 May and will run through to 26 June – with one workshop to attend nearly each week during this period: there’s no doubt that you’ll be spoilt for choice, given the wide range of topics on offer. Head over to the programme page for all the details.
We are pleased to announce that Paul Beverley’s Macros workshop on 16 May has been added to the conference workshop line-up. Consequently, its price has been reduced in line with the others in the series – check it out on the conference workshops page!
Registering, refunds and cancellations policy
If you have previously registered and paid for the conference and/or a workshop, and wish to attend one or more of the online events, when you register, select ‘Bank transfer’ as the payment method. We will then deduct your online workshops and conference from what you previously and refund you as appropriate.
If you do not wish to attend any of the re-programmed online workshops and conference sessions and would like a full refund, less the € 50 non-refundable deposit, please contact Theresa Truax-Gischler at email@example.com.
Fees for online conference and workshops
In line with the reduced scale of the conference programme and because both the conference and the workshops are being presented online (thanks to Zoom), the pricing for both has been simplified and considerably reduced: to attend all three half-days of the conference will now cost only € 60 for members of SENSE and € 75 for non-members. The fee for attending an online workshop is now € 30 for members and € 60 for non-members. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to book separate tickets for just one or two conference days.
What's in store for you?
This being an online event, you will be able to register for either the whole conference (not the individual afternoons) and the workshops up to 16:00 on the day before the event.
In these virus-disrupted days, practitioners are more keenly aware than ever of the risks and opportunities inherent in freelancing, and some innovative solutions, so topics related to this theme will feature strongly in the online programme. For instance:
- the panel discussion, featuring a group of emerging freelance translators, on how to acquire and retain clients, which will be of particular relevance to the would-be’s and newbies out there;
- the EC’s Emma Hartkamp sharing the EU’s take on ‘Future competence profiles of EU translators’;
- from Finland, Tiina Kinunnen will be broaching a touchy side of freelancing familiar to us all in her presentation titled ‘From whining to shining: time to change the freelancer’s image’;
- SENSE members Wendy Baldwin (‘Honing skills through near-peer exchange’) and Marieke Krijnen (‘Editing in the era of digital nomadism’) will share their solutions to the loneliness of the long-distance editor;
- as will Sally Hill and Daphne Visser-Lees, who are out to share with us the positive outcomes ‘When editors share notes’;
- and when time is money for most of us, Brian Mossop’s answers to the question ‘How much time does quality require?’ should have us all sitting on the edge of our seats in expectation!
So, what’s standing in your way of attending SENSE Online Jubilee Conference 2020 from the comfort of your own home?
See you there, on 3, 4 and 5 June – or in the front row at a workshop!
The SENSE Online Jubilee Conference planning team
Ashley, Jenny, John, Ken, Liz, Lloyd, Marieke, Matthew and Theresa
trends affecting language professionals